AL Points

What makes life worth living for you?

What keeps you going on in life?

The Original Mors
      Awesome

Country
      Canada
      AL Points

Re: What makes life worth living for you?

I find a lot of meaning in people, in the abstract. Individually, I don't really care about people, and some just disgust me, but I like the idea of people.

There's a philosophical question that's useful to ask for this distinction. If we're going to die, why do we care? Why do old men plant trees in whose shade they will never sit? It's for our children, of course. I think I extend this in that I really like the idea of people as a whole in the same way that people like the idea of their children as a whole. And so, I want people to be happy. I want people to love, and do awesome things. Especially do awesome things--the artists and inventors and thinkers are especially important to me. I want people to spread out among the stars and marvel us every day with their constant conscious grasping of life and the universe and everything they do in it. I live for the future--for all the good things I know will be a part of our future, and for all the people that will get to experience them--especially me. I love all the amazing stuff that people do, create, and are, and I want to help them along.

Some people can suck dicks, and that'll never change. But I still like the idea of people, and what people are capable of, and I think it's this love for this idea and concept of people that gives me the most meaning in my life.
      sig art by satellite_09, gfx by Naoki sticker credits: miwool poronegi sazi Shironappa

Chaological
      "Stop running, Dante!"

zzzz

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Momogari View Post
      I find a lot of meaning in people, in the abstract. Individually, I don't really care about people, and some just disgust me, but I like the idea of people.

There's a philosophical question that's useful to ask for this distinction. If we're going to die, why do we care? Why do old men plant trees in whose shade they will never sit? It's for our children, of course. I think I extend this in that I really like the idea of people as a whole in the same way that people like the idea of their children as a whole. And so, I want people to be happy. I want people to love, and do awesome things. Especially do awesome things--the artists and inventors and thinkers are especially important to me. I want people to spread out among the stars and marvel us every day with their constant conscious grasping of life and the universe and everything they do in it. I live for the future--for all the good things I know will be a part of our future, and for all the people that will get to experience them--especially me. I love all the amazing stuff that people do, create, and are, and I want to help them along.

Some people can suck dicks, and that'll never change. But I still like the idea of people, and what people are capable of, and I think it's this love for this idea and concept of people that gives me the most meaning in my life.
      Well-spoken. Better than anything I would've had.
      Spiral -by- Godsmack -- Sometimes we only live for the here and now. Sometimes we're lonely. Sometimes we feel we need a place to be grounded... or fly away again. I will fly away again. I feel rain pouring down. I wait to rot away. Live again. Here forever. The spiral never ends. Why are we feeling something's familiar around us? Are we just dreaming? Always we search for the answers but nothing is found. We fly away again. I will fly away again.

Bored

Depressed

Country
      UK
      AL Points

My family and also when I get to go to places like Florida or even LAGC
      Want to join the AL team? Click here to find out about becoming an assistant
      Come say hi in Entrance Hall and join in our events! || My Journal ||
      All art by Catacombs

Head Moderator

HEH HEH HEH.

Friendly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Momogari View Post

I don't think I can top this. Well done.

lol hi lufff ♥

Wtf

Country
      UK
      AL Points

I think I have some fairly abstract views

1) Connections/Interactions with People: Kind of coming of the sentiment from @Momogari but kind of my own take on it too, people are interesting, there's so many people with so many paths in life, learning about different people and there struggles their up and downs and forging bonds with people is what it means to be alive I think.

2) Being alone: In contrast to the above, I feel there's a limit on how much I can interact, when I'm out somewhere I'll give it my all and enjoy who I'm with ... but I do totally need time to zone out, gather my thoughts, plan my next adventures and just straight up relax. I think it's a balance, which leads me on to my next point.

3) Finding Balance: Life can be hard to balance (particularly if you live in a big city like London ), and even when you get life balance that you want it doesn't take much to unbalance it. But then you learn and find new ways to get your life to where you want it to go and overall I think life is is big mix of ups and downs, but you need the downs to make the ups feel that much better, which leads me too ...

4) Pain: Wait, what? Here probably my most out there point, but I believe this (although when you are going through it it is kinda hard to accept): If you can try to learn from faliure, push yourself to find an alternate solution to your problems then the pain can be used as an obstancle that once overcome has opened up whole new worlds of wonder for you to explore.

5) Keeping on going: The act of keeping on going, for me at least, is enjoyable, as long as I'm alive I will never stop doing things ... even if unfortunate circumstances happen there is always a way to make the most of what you do have I think ... You never know what's next, hell I didn't even know Anime League existed, or how cool the Cons are until this year, and already I've have some crazy adventures form there, so yeah Keep on Keeping On!

That kind of sounds like a user guide, not my intention at all, lol. These are just the things that keep me going
      Professional Monster Hunter (Hunter Rank 14)

Useless things are always out of place.

Content

Country
      Finland
      AL Points

I don't find much in life to be worth living for to be honest, but I trot on anyway because I haven't found anything worth dying for, either.

Thank your Jouro <3

Carue: I think Noirres a bit of a legend
      Noirre (Mod): In what way, pray tell?
      Carue: well you're a rather good writer, pleasant, friendly and good looking
      Noirre (Mod): <3 you silver-tongued devil
      Shadicara: Silver? Carue can I have your tongue?
      Carue: if you like
      Carue: its licked Noirre's bum just now
      Carue: but you can have it

I was Captain Doughnut before now

Friendly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Well cant answer for the past couple of months because id end up being too depressing but recently i must say my friend who i hold close helped me through thick and thin and my mum and family (well some of them at least) iv started my Model kit building hobby again in 5 months absence, and hopefully me starting to be more active from now on here at AL so i`v a few things there which i`m glad to have and make life worth living again ^^

My previous status update was in 2013.

Sigh

Country
      Canada
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by DrinksOnMe View Post
      What keeps you going on in life?
      I have had a few opportunities to consider this question over the course of my life. And my answer has changed from time to time.

Originally, I thought life was something you could "win." I kept on living because I didn't want to lose. But of course, nothing's that simple.

So let me use a metaphor.

Your life, for better or worse, is a mine. You spend your time clearing away chaff and rock to find slivers of whatever your mine might yield- be it shale or gold. Not everyone has the same value in their mine- that's just a cruel fact of life. But everyone's mine has value. If you end up spending your whole life working away in the mine- no matter what you're mining for- you'll have tons of it when you're done, but you'll have never done anything with it. And you'll have never enjoyed the sun and fresh air outside the mine. The only friends or connections you'll have made are the tentative ones you invite into your own mine.

If you spend your whole life looking for something specific in the mine, you'll only find it if it's there. You probably aren't going to find platinum in any great quantity in a coal mine. And if you throw out all the coal, silver, and gold you have looking in your single-minded pursuit of platinum, you'll have missed out.

The moral is this: Life is for living. You can live however you want. But I recommend that you don't forget to enjoy it, and don't forget to appreciate all that you have on the way. The harder you work to get something out of life, the more you'll get- but the less you'll enjoy it. If you don't work hard, you won't have anything to enjoy. So it's a balance.
      I live, and I enjoy the struggle of life, for the happy moments that punctuate it. For the good conversation, the food and drink, and to enjoy the sun and rain with equal measure.

Remember that nothing worth doing is easy, and anything worth doing is worth taking your time to do. And enjoying life is definitely worth it.

Don't fear the reaper

Angry

Country
      Australia
      AL Points

Music - If that wasn't my go to thing, everytime I felt out of place in the world.
      I'd be in a far worse place, than I am now.
      Music is life is indeed what it is.

Friends/family - Big part of my days and always there for me. Couldn't ask for a cooler group of folk, to be a part of!

Writing/GFX - Passes the time well, fast... and is always super fun and keeps me away from having ill thoughts

Cooking - It's awesome to cook, but to cook well is something else.
      I feel a lot more heads on with the day and can feel myself increase in mood and stamina etc. (good feels)

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Sports Cars!!!!!!
      To the Absolver, reality is corrupt and flawed on the most elemental level, with every particle of every molecule vibrating and resonating with this horrendous mistake. Their ultimate goal is to destroy the balance, to end it's existence once and for all, for they see it as utterly corrupt. After all, all they see billions of people dying, being ritually sacrificed to the balance to keep it's wheels grinding along. Humans are simply tools, cells in a giant body, and to them this is utterly unacceptable. Even is contaminated and so should be destroyed for the 'ultimate good'. They forsee a day when they will have destroyed everyone else, and then will in turn kill themselves, so that ultimate Absolvation will come to reality. Only then can it be reborn into paradise. The ultimate forgiveness will come with death.

Fan Girls:
      Bumble Bee

waking up in the morning and getting my kids up and dressed and ready to go for the day. seeing the look on my 5 month old daughter's face when the first person she sees when she wakes up is her daddy, that smile and the instant talking and cooing, all of it makes life worth living to me. then there is my amazing fiance, who, without, i would still be wandering in the darkness that was my life until 2 years ago.

Thread Information