• zzzz
  • Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Administrator
      Haha

Angry

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Why do you think RR is inactive right now? How can we fix this?

Are there any reasons players are not even engaging in OOC conversation right now (yet alone IC RP)? Even before the reboot there was more OOC chit-chat than this... now there seems to be close to nothing (yes, I know you can argue there is *some* activity, but this is a relative term - compare to even six months ago when there was an OOC chat topic which got 10+ pages of chat a day).

I think we need to have a respectful (forum rules apply, any drama or baiting and this will get locked) but honest dialogue over what's gone wrong here and how it can be rectified for the future (practical ways please, everyone has their own opinions on how RR should be run.. this is not really about radically changing the rules system; restarting again would be counterproductive. Rather, I would advocate discussing ways to better motivate everyone, better involve everyone, how to bring in new players, and how to rebuild this community as an active force on AL).

@Rayquaza @Black Mage @Axiom @Faerie Fortune @Clockwork @Retox @Axwell @Axiom @Azoth @Blazey-kun @Darkrai @Ebby Exaspimaru @He Who Eats Bears @Heinlein @I Heart Chaos. @Jimen @Leper @Mercury @Mew @Rayquaza @Ryokuken @Xaih

Incidentally, I've just removed @synth_shadow @Jehu from the GMs usergroup on grounds of not having been on AL for six months; unsure why they were on there given that. Any idea where these two went? @gattusk @Limitless @Glass all also seem pretty Deadish and are in the HGM group (!) tho I'm leaving in for now to let them get back to us.

Anyway, let's discuss some ways we can bring at least some OOC chatter back, eh? That ultimately tends to be the basic driving force behind giving motivation for the IC action.
      ---

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Sigh

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Re: Why do you think RR is inactive right now? How can we fix this?

First off, I can say for sure that Gattusk, Limitless, and Glass are all gone permanently for various reasons.

I think, personally, that part of the reason things are so quiet right now is because quite honestly everyone is busy with real life. This is end-of-term time for most college age folks, and at least for me its a difficult time because a co-worker suddenly quit and given the nature of my overseas job, I have to cover a significant about of extra hours. I know Bears, Reno, and most of the Yggdrassil players are in the same boat.

Another possibility is that honestly the activity we were hoping to pull in, namely some of the Cityscape players, never came. I can say for sure that the community isn't dead, just quiet. I talk to members every day without fail. I think there are plans in the works by players, but RL just kinda kicked most of us in the teeth.
      "Those who think duels are a method to ‘honorably resolve disputes’ are fools. Duels are the means to eliminate otherwise inconvenient opposition.”

HUNGER

No Mood

Country
      blank
      AL Points

Everyone being busy can definitely explain why IC activity has dropped but I don't think that it explains the lack of OOC activity, especially when you see that most of the OOC posts in the general chat thread are one liners.

However, I can clearly see there's less of us now than there were before the reboot. To me, that seems the reason why activity has gone down. Less posters, less activity.

So if we want to boost OOC activity, which will in turn boost IC activity, then we need to fill our ranks with new members. Lots and lots of lovely new members we can befriend and start brand spanking new adventures/vendettas/arguments/romances/worldwars with.

First obvious way of doing this is advertisement. Like putting a spiffy link to RR in your signature and posting around the other forums so that plenty of ALers see it and take interest. Same thing could be done on other forums, I guess, though Free might not agree because it could make AL look bad.

More ideas coming soon, I've got a class to teach right now.

I think Retox hit it right on the head -- advertising should be the game plan for boosting RR's activity levels. I haven't been here long enough to call myself an "AnimeLeague historian", but from what I recall of the olden days (anyone remember when Unrivaled "invaded" Momentum... and failed miserably after just a month or so?) a goodly amount of the new faces that came in for a long time were due to (A) inter-forum actions like the Unrivaled / Momentum "war", (B) the sheer "gravitational force" of how BIG RR / Momentum were (in terms of players & activity) pulling in those whose forums had waned / died, and (C) people joining for other parts of the forum (anime discussions, journals, cosplay, etc.) and having their new AL friends introduce them to our happy/crazy little sub-section of the site. Currently, I doubt any of these is actively bringing many people in -- the size, activity, and interest levels that seemed like they'd keep RR alive through perpetual motion have dropped quite far.

So, a three point proposal:

• Active advertising ~ we work up an RR-centric ad, maybe with something cool and eye-catching like a Flash component in it, and advertise everywhere we can. (NOTE: some RP forums, like mine, require a guest-friendly link-back section if you're going to advertise with 'em. I don't think AL has a section for that though...)
      • Start a fight ~ this is a bit oldschool... but RR's got a reputation that should be defended. Rivalry + conflict = activity. What I'm saying is this: we find out who the "big boys" in RP forums are right now, pick one that seems promising, and make an offer to their leadership. Brawl, war, tournament; all a matter of preference -- important thing is we get in there (or them in here), get our hands dirty, and stir up a buzz to let people know that RR's not dead yet.
      • Newbie training ~ RR is elite -- there's no question about that. Some of the best of the best have come through here over the years... but can we really leave training this new gen of RPers up to someone else? CityScape's good at this, true, and I think ClanNation may even have groups dedicated to teaching and training, but if we want to keep RR from getting stagnant we should think about aggressively pursuing new RPers and having one or more groups take them under their wing. This was done with Initiations in the previous versions but what I'm suggesting isn't a large official system -- its an independent perrogative for each RR faction to swell its ranks and teach the new kids how we "old fogies" do it.

CHARACTER PROFILE
      The Traveler

Darksabre

CS is working on an Organization to put in here and start having cross-training with CSers coming into RR and all that jazz. Faithy and Alucard and I are working on that, but I am swamped with my schoolwork at the moment, not to mention all of my IRL things that have to be taken care of, and I still want to put high-quality posts and everything up in RR. It's just taking me longer than usual because I'm at a new school and really trying to get my degree quickly, along with interning and this that and the other.

I can't say, of course, that CS's presence in here will magically fix everything, because that's a liiiittle overreaching in my opinion, but we can at least bring some new faces in and push them into staying for a bit. Honestly, I haven't been in RR enough to know exactly what's up, other than to check the character subs page and get stuff going for the Initiative P thing (because I think that's hilarious). As soon as I can talk to Alucard/Darkrai again, we can finalize our group and start bringing CSers in. I'm all for advertising, even if it is just on AL, or off-AL.

Turbo Revvin Young Punk
      Friendly

Country
      USA
      AL Points

So Retox and Nascent are definitely on the right track to how to get things rolling again in RR. I've talked with Axiom about an organization that could be like the IC wing of the GMs. Their responsibilities would be something like adventurer's guild that would send people out on missions (maybe raid some research facility) and pit other members in either competition or cooperation for that objective. Rewards for completing or even participation could include minor territories or justifications for IC resources to upgrade one's character. This can also serve the initiation function as well, though possibly in less combative circumstances.

9/11 Never Forget

Resonant Discord

Country
      UK
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

I like Black Mage's idea.

But for me its just real life now...I work 40 hours a week (besides the last couple of days where I have been off sick), and work odd shifts. So by the time I get home I am tired mentally more than physically. ;-; So the last thing I want to do is sit and concentrate on something proper.

Cityscape does provide me with an easy means of roleplaying, without having to place much thought into it. RR it's always been different.

My music composed by me- listen to Cyber Tropic on Youtube: https://youtu.be/jDLw6_4V3wE

Reno

For my part, I am busy with life stuff.

Anyway.

RR needs a proper villain.

Also rivalries. This has always been a great incentive. Perhaps the greatest incentive of all.

I would argue that any IC GM group should be focused on being an antagonistic force. Maybe something along the lines of that company from the show "Heroes", if anyone is familiar with that.

Turbo Revvin Young Punk
      Friendly

Country
      USA
      AL Points

I had an idea of making them a manipulative shadow organization, if that helps. Not so much like the Company, but a force that strives to pit people against each other.

9/11 Never Forget

Old Bastard

Depressed

Country
      USA
      AL Points

First, please stop tagging me in posts.

Second, like BM knows I personally was about to start doing stuff but then 11/11/11 and I got Skyrim. So that's my activity right there. I don't know about everybody else but it is end of semester and shit like that so people are busy studying and shit I suppose.

Reno

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage View Post
      I had an idea of making them a manipulative shadow organization, if that helps. Not so much like the Company, but a force that strives to pit people against each other.
      That'd do the job, I reckon.

Anyway, if you guys want my assistance in any unofficial capacity, just ask.

Same goes to anyone else. I can provide ideas and guidance to whoever needs it but you need to come to me.

Well, I guess I should say why Im being so inactive, not only here but in CS as well. Im not much of a man that likes to showcase whats wrong online and I try to keep personal stuff out of AL but it was my responsibility to put up the RR stuff a long time ago. My apologies to everyone.

My girlfriend died a couple of weeks ago during the rainy season, her house was buried under half a hill of mud. It upset me to the point that I couldn't write or talk to anyone but Dark. We havent found her body yet or her family, there hasnt been a wake or a burial so ... I feel like Im in a limbo or something.

I have written down all the stuff to put up the Organization which was going to pull in some CS activity into RR but I've been unable to write anything decent to complement it and I know Dark has been gracious enough to wait for me. I'll do my best to polish that up and post it soon.

Turbo Revvin Young Punk
      Friendly

Country
      USA
      AL Points

I'm very, very sorry to hear that Alucard. I'm more than willing to help with that as well, since getting CSers interested is likely our best shot of bringing activity up.

EDIT: Damn Pokemon name changes.

9/11 Never Forget

Resonant Discord

Country
      UK
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Sorry to hear that Alucard and I'm sorry for your loss. I can only hope that you find her family.

My music composed by me- listen to Cyber Tropic on Youtube: https://youtu.be/jDLw6_4V3wE

B.O.R.E.D.

Wtf

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

Aww, Alu... I'm so sorry.

Like the others, I've been really busy with work and finishing out my degree. I've managed to get up one profile (that I still need to redo ><) and that's about it. I also agree with all the points and ideas put up thus far. I'll try and think of some more points once my brain stops being so overwhelmed.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information