• Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • View Poll Results: Which Synopsis gets your vote?

Voters
    12. You may not vote on this poll
    • Quill Pens and Candle Wax

7 58.33%
    • Travels and Exploits of the Tumblers Guild

1 8.33%
    • Sacrifice of the Soul

2 16.67%
    • Words Apart

1 8.33%
    • Winter's Night

1 8.33%
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It's been a long time...

Angry

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Writing of the Month #2 - Voting

Writing of the Month #2 Voting Thread.

So the entries have been collected and are here for your delectation. Entries are gathered below, please give a reason as to why you voted the way you did.

Entry #1: “Quill Pens and Candle Wax”
        Spoiler:  

Entry #2: “Travels and Exploits of the Tumblers Guild”
        Spoiler:  
      Part I: A Kharovóyan Tale
      Part II: Parables of Redemption
      Part III: The Duke and Baron

On the broad, untamed steppes of the Kharovóyan west there is trouble afoot. An unknown evil concealed behind an impenetrable shroud of fog sows fear and madness in the hearts of all it envelops. Rumors abound, yet the truth about who is to blame remains elusive. With his armies off on a distant front, still recovering from the wounds of recent war, a fading king living out the twilight years of his reign must now turn to hired help if he is to put an end to this creeping, ominous threat.

The burden of responsibility falls on the shoulders of a ragtag troop of handymen who together forge unlikely bonds and are swept up in many an adventure for desperate want of coin. A foul-mouthed ruffian and old man who tries in earnest to save her soul, a cook with magic hands and lady at arms who has an honorable heart of gold, moody green reptile with a score to settle, and others unite under the leadership of a mustachioed peasant who has run afoul with the high clergy of their city, Solberg.

Treacherous landscapes,deadly predators, cunning foes, and a whole myriad of unexpected challenges await this Tumblers Guild. Can such a grungy crew bring down the fiends now haunting far-flung corners of their magnificent realm? Will they emerge from the crucible of experience at all better off than before? In a world steeped in mystery, hardships,superstition, illiteracy, and poor hygiene habits, one thing is for certain: some of the foulest of monsters clamber forth from within!

Entry #3: “Sacrifice of the Soul”

Spoiler:  

Text Version Sacrifice of the Soul

The Prophecy God foretold of a time when the Goddess of Shadows would be at risk of an inescapable future with Perun, the God of Humans. His warning was ignored by all but a few of his disciples. Now Volos, and many other gods have vanished; the fate of the Heavens left undefended as many of the others who could or would not flee, or fight, are facing a new fate. The Dragon Gods vanishing from the Heavens have tipped the balance heavily into turmoil, spilling into the land below.

Thousands of years in the world below the heavens have forced the Native Dragons into unbreakable bonds with mankind. At first, hatchlings were forced to take male riders, but as time progressed, so did the power struggle between the dragons and mankind. Wars breaking out have spread among the other species trying to survive. Even with the gender power shift, there are no signs of abating in the wars.

Now with dominantly female riders, Mewajivah, a young female archer, has a chance to make her dead parents proud. Becoming a dragon rider has been Ehm’s dream for the past few seasons, but the uncanny hatching of the season has taken a serious turn for the worst, throwing the riders into a new level of impending war. Rivaled with Demogorgon, who may be her accursed companion, she is pushed further than ever. Not only to learn to deal with his confident and mysterious demeanor, but also master the ways of dragon riding while finding a way to save the world from an unforgiving destruction; and that will ultimately lead her to decide whether or not partaking in a sacrifice prophesied to mend the link between the unforeseen forces, that are beyond anyone else’s control, is worth the risk.

A mysterious goddess isn’t the last to reach out to allude to their fates; warning them of the Gods. With eyes turning in their direction, Dem and Ehm must work together to find a forgotten path that their Dragons, bound to a forbidden knowledge, cannot reveal. Without believing Gods would begin to reveal themselves along the way, offering words of wisdom, the Dragons and their Riders are forced to question everything they know and take a leap of faith, but which Gods should be trusted? Their future is a blur, numerous odds are against them; yet, one fact remains, they must unravel the truth concerning the Dragon’s beloved Rulers and the Heavens before freedom and the gods are lost forever.

Entry #4: “Words Apart”

Spoiler:  
      Young amateur author, Alstroemiria Leafland, has a problem. None of the characters she creates feel believable or real. It’s commonly said that a truly successful fictional creation will move of its own accord but every member of her novels feels like a two-dimensional cardboard cut-out. So she posts this woe onto a certain online site,the focus of a popular urban-legend, not really believing in its rumored mystical effect but just as an experimental stress relief of sorts.

Disillusioned condescending cynic, Phillip Vobis, is bored of the mundane world that is proving to be increasingly dull. He spends every waking hour obsessively dreaming of adventure, sinking ever deeper into bottomless delusions of fantastical escapism. One day he hears of an interesting webpage, where desperate people flock to have their issues resolved by an enigmatic supernatural figure. Half mocking,half expectant, he reports his own misery and so it began.

A single flickering pop-up chat-box appeared in the centre of the screen, its user profile-picture: the vacuous smiling face of a cute cartoon fairy,and its username “The Pixel Pixy”.

Pixel Pixy: (message sent at 18:39) Hmm… I don’t usually get this directly involved But this seems to be a case of two birds with one stone so I might as well use a little magic

As he stared irately at this new piece of internet spam, ready to delete it, a sudden bright burst of white light surrounded Phillip and before he could even emit a shocked shriek, he was quite inexplicably erased from this universe. That was the moment that Alstroemiria suddenly felt the urge to include a new character, an almost uncontrollable desire to introduce another cast, to write about a condescending cynic who seemed, like all good fictional creations, to act on his own volition.

Slowly the two grow to know each other through the page, forming an understanding spanning worlds and words. Thus, whether by accident or by malicious desire,the stories begin to tremor, to tremble and very soon there will bean avalanche, a storm to blur fantasy and reality.

Entry #5 “Winter's Night”

Spoiler:  
      The night fell upon winter, the dance was done. But her heart was lost,and now not one. Through dark and twisting allies of her mind, winter must fight. Fight for her heart, her love, her being and her soul, To become one with herself again. But what will she face? In the depths of her own subconscious who knows what she will find? Was she ever one, herself? Will she ever win?
      Follow winter, through the dance, and onto the other side of hell, to see what waits.
      If, you dare.

Sorry this took so long for me to put up, I've been having problems with copy and paste and formatting again. I can't change attachments either, the screen to do so has never loaded for me. Fingers crossed I sorted everything, give me a nudge if you see something wrong. Preferably outside the thread so it can be rectified without alerting everyone.

@Shadow would you mind removing the two additional attachments for me, for the reasons explained above?
      Last edited by ImmortalJed; 03-02-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melmo View Post
      So Drifty broke his bed and Jed is electrocuting everyone. Business as usual then. Carry on!

is Lurking >>;

zzzz

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Re: Writing of the Month #2 - Voting

Taken care of.

Voters for the Book Synopsis' provided by AL Writers please.

@Arya @Blooded @Killer Kitty @Illusionist @Taz605 @Princess Rapunzel @Viragirl @AyameTaylor @Ioreth @noirre @vampirekitty1089 @Vespy @Bear @Volos.Dragon @VaanDiablo @Frisco @Stiltzkin @Royalnikx @ms.ruiz @Redalgo @Goldenheart @Perpetua Nove @Nethack @theblackmist @Bear @AnimeGuardJ @Velveeta @bootAnna @Revy @Expendable @Ttosk @Hannahkins @Ivory @Pirate Timelord @pendragon01 @Anni @Drifter

Thank you all for your time. The votes would be appreciated!

Random by default

Amused

Country
      Italy
      AL Points

Number 1 is the best written synopsis in my opinion, it almost looks professional, picture aside.

That said “Words Apart”, is the most intriguing one.

I voted one cause that's the way to write a synopsis

Congrats you all for the good work <3

is Lurking >>;

zzzz

Country
      USA
      AL Points

@Hannahkins why'd you vote for 1?

retired AL assistant

Depressed

Country
      USA
      AL Points

I voted for #1 for the fact that it just seems like a very well done synopsis and the story would interesting it gets the reader interested in the story and thats the best way to do a synopsis.

Plymouth Big Geek Meet - 11th June!

Angry

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Sorry PC was being gay and wasn't letting me pick more than one. Not sure why. Sorry. Can I add my other 2 votes?

Also because I liked the one I picked first. Was the best I think.
      ~ Hannahkins ~

~ My Facebook Cosplay Page - https://www.facebook.com/HannahkinsCosplay ~
      ~ My AL Cosplay Portfolio -
      http://www.animeleague.net/forum/showthread.php?89700-Hannahkins-Cosplay ~
      ~ My Twitter Page -
      https://twitter.com/HannahTorry1993 ~

~ Cosplay Central Moderator - Loki Hannahkins - 05/01/2014 - 2015 ~

~ Hannahkins ~ Head Clan Leader of The Girls of Anime League ~
      http://www.animeleague.net/forum/sho...League-Sign-Up

~ Entrance Hall Moderator Hannahkins - 12/02/2013 - 05/01/2014 ~
      ~ Fall Assistant Appreciation Award Winner 2012 - Hannahkins ~

It's been a long time...

Angry

Country
      UK
      AL Points

There is only one vote in the poll, you vote for which on you think should win.

Edit: I missed out a text based version of one of the picture entries. Forgive me, this was harder than it needed to be

So Drifty broke his bed and Jed is electrocuting everyone. Business as usual then. Carry on!

2 loli 4 u

Arty

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Entry one was pretty good, I really liked how they began with what looks like an exerpt from the novel itself. It is also visually appealling, which gives them a great edge. Very interesting title, as well. If this book existed, I would love to read it.

"Travels and Exploits of the Tumblers Guild" has the right idea, which appears to be a decent plot, but lost effectiveness in sentence structure. Still, this one has potential and I enjoyed its descriptiveness.

I'm absolutely stunned that no one has voted for entry 3 yet...
      Not only was the presentation marvelous, but the synopsis was really great too. The story seems like it'd be a great read, rich with fantasy and dragon-related mysticism. Definitely deserves my vote!

"Words Apart" was quite the interesting entry. Nice use of vocabulary, aspects of fanatasy, and creative inclusion of this 'Pixel Fairy'. The only thing I'd say is it could be more cohesive. Introducing two characters serparately like that makes it harder to establish a connection between the two, in my opinion.

For "Winter's Night", there isn't enough here to make me want to follow her. I need something more, something that would set this story apart from all others. I see you made an attempt at hooking the reader, but it's not all the way there...

Entry 3 GMV because I liked it the best.

art thread

Head Moderator
      ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

Depressed

Country
      USA
      Blog Entries
      AL Points

I'm sorry, this is going to sound bitchy.

Entry #1: “Quill Pens and Candle Wax”
      This was very well written, it gave just enough details to be interesting, teasing the reader with sibling rivalry and hinting darkly at depraved sex. Church groups will probably protest just at this jacket description.

Entry #2: “Travels and Exploits of the Tumblers Guild”
      Title needs work. The first paragraph hints at a mystery, good hooks. Trouble in the steppes? Army's away while the kingdom is recovering from a war, an aging desperate king?

Second starts well - out of everyone else, you have to wonder why he would send them, but I think the first sentence should have stopped after "handymen" - "who together forge unlikely bonds and are swept up in many an adventure for desperate want of coin" is just too much for me. And why are they called "handymen" if this is a tumbler's guild?
      The thumbnail descriptions could use a polish, but otherwise fine, a decent hook in them.

Third paragraph, first sentence reveals too much and should be cut. As for the last - "In a world steeped in mystery, hardships,superstition, illiteracy, and poor hygiene habits," - "poor hygiene habits" may be good for a giggle, but illiteracy? Really? You're trying to reel me in, not jar me out. Just for good measure, cut "superstition" too, that whole set up is far too long.

Otherwise a strong contender.

Entry #3: “Sacrifice of the Soul”
      Too much detail and yet, not enough. A god and a goddess at risk of an inescapable future? Are we talking marriage? And who is Volos? That comma after his name should go. As should the second and fourth paragraphs - save it for the book.

Entry #4: “Words Apart”
      Definitely too much information here. We know her problem, we know his problem, we know the site's somehow an urban legend, flash of light, etc. Why bother buying the book when it's all here on the back cover? It's another Stranger than Fiction where an author discovers one of her characters is actually real.

Entry #5 “Winter's Night”
      Not enough detail and what we do have is contradictory - the dance is done, but we're asked to follow Winter through the dance? What? Are we talking about a season or a person? This didn't pull me in, it threw me out.

One got my vote, with Two running second.
      Last edited by Expendable; 03-02-2013 at 04:19 AM.

It's been a long time...

Angry

Country
      UK
      AL Points

I forgot to share my attempt at a synopsis, that I wrote just to see how it came out.

The summer of 2012 had been fantastic for Scott and Sarah. A new job, new home and a beautiful wedding. All was good in their world, but when Scott wakes up in his hotel room, with Sarah gone, the room trashed and blood everywhere things become alarming. He can't remember the night before, can't remember what country he is in. As he searches for his memories, his wife and the truth, just what will he uncover? What hell has been unleashed into his perfect life? Will he piece things together? Only time will tell.

I'd add more but I figure it's pointless, this says all I had to say. This is exempt from voting, just thought I'd share my attempt with you all

*Shifts to Dragon form*

Sneaky

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Hi ,sorry i got some catching up to do.
      at least i voted
      Originally Posted by RyuKai Lol some of the greatest art and poetry were done drunk

Charlottesville

Crying

Country
      USA
      AL Points

“Winter's Night” is the only one that read like something that I would read on the back of a book. Maybe 1 was better done, but it didn't read like something I read on the back of a book looking threw the library or book store.One read as snyopise of a clip notes book. That wouldn't keep in mind that it needs to entice the reader, be a snyaposis, and BE SHORT. Since it is on the back of a book. One would be my second place vote, since it gets parts of that right.

It's been a long time...

Angry

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Okay, it appears we have a runaway winner. Just got some things to clear up.

@pendragon01
      @Volos.Dragon
      @Ponko92
      @MetalGearDan

Could you tell us why you voted for Entry #1?

@Shadow Would you like me to break the tie for second place and have a joint third? I'll announce the winners once people have confirmed why they voted the way they did

Never give in, Never let up!

zzzz

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Well i voted for #1 firstly because the name stood out for me, secondly the story is something i can, in some sense relate to. It's how someone can be seen as "Perfect" but beneath that they are opposite to what you thought, and how curiosity can drive a person to dig deeper and the more you deep the more you start to regret digging and the more you go along the harder it is to come out the same

playing epic music

Godly

Country
      Scotland
      AL Points

i voted O.O

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information