• Shy
  • Sigh
  • Silly
  • Sneaky
  • Wtf
  • zzzz
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Avalien

Re: "We can't stop here, this is bat country!" A Journal of Twisted Proportions

Sleep pattern has been screwed for a while. I worry a lot about stuff & when the proverbial shit hits the fan, my mind goes into overdrive & I just don't sleep well. Didn't help that I was working nights for 2 months at the start of the year, then random early (5am start) and late (11pm finish) shifts for quite a while after that...

Honestly, I don't have much faith in my GP or the medical profession as a whole. I'm more into holistic medicine & things (why I'm usually a herbalist or alchemist in RPGs lol), so will give the valerian root a go; got nothing to lose, right?

I've not really read much manga, as I can't find the spare time from all the books, anime, films, TV & games I want to consume I have heard though, that many anime differ a fair bit from the original manga they were based on - guess we'll have to put that down to "artistic license" >.< Currently, I'm on episode 126 of Bleach -
        Spoiler:  
      just in the middle of the first part of the Arrancar arc, with Ichigo overcoming his inner hollow
      - really enjoying it still! I do own the first Bleach manga, "Death & the Strawberry", but it's in Japanese xD

Stale bread is just lazy made croutons.

Silly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

I've been "trying" to finish the bleach anime, but have not really had much interest in it tbh. I managed to make it to episode 140 ish. And have since sort of moved on to others more my thing I guess. All the props to you for being able to work your way through the looonnnggg anime.

Yes, as I've read some manga and seen the anime to them I've noted some changes and differences. One of the ones i'm currently reading/waiting for the next chapter to come out (Claymore) had started then anime before the manga was fully complete so they ended up making their own sort of ending?? But it was more an open ended ending and not really close to what happened in the manga. That for sure was artistic licence lol.

Avalien

So, erm, hi!

It's been a long while, since I've posted in here. Those of you who know me well, know that I've been struggling with a few things over the past few months. Sadly, this has had a somewhat profound affect on my free time & AL/cosplay related activities. I've been trying to get back into the swing of things, but each time I do, something else seems to happen, which prevents me from doing so... Partly, this is due to how I handle things, but with the help of some amazing people (many of them from AL - you know who you are ) I'm learning how to better deal with life's hurdles!

Right now, I'm doing my best to be active on the forums & trying to find a new job, with better pay & stable hours! The next few weeks are going to be rather crazy, as I've got overtime, plus I've barely started on any of the 3 cosplays I'm hoping to take to Alcon!

Once I've got things a little bit more stable, I will be back on here with a vengeance (like Bruce Willis, just with more beard & less wrinkles xD).

I just want to say a big thank you to all those in the AL community who have been there for me, in any capacity, over the past few months; wouldn't be where I am today without you *Hugs*

Silly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Hello!

Wwell I've not been on here as much either this past month.
      Have you been able to find anything in these last two weeks??

Avalien

Hey! I thought you might be "doing the rounds"

Nah, not found anything new, but work met me half way & increased my pay. Still not keen on staying there, but it's something.

Now, back to cosplay madness xD

Silly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

What do you mean by "doing the rounds" lol some kind of sexual term?!

And at least it helps ease the burden until you find something you really wantt sink your teeth into I guess

What is this "cosplay madness" you speak of??

Avalien

Soon...

Avalien

Not soon enough... >.<

Been meaning to post here, since ALCon, but work's had loads of overtime available & needed to recoup the money I spent last weekend! xD Still totally shattered & not even unpacked my cosplay bag yet (I hope they're not too creased...)

So, where to start? Easy...

ALCon! It was my first & certainly won't be my last, as I had a total blast! It was mired slightly by barely getting any sleep & turning into a grumpy fuck on the Sunday evening, but I was fortunate to have the company of a few awesome folk that sorted me out! I met so many of you fantastic people, some for the first time, that I wanted to take you all home & just have our own little convention, like every day for the whole year! xD (Still want to sort out my Cosplay Commune at some point in the future ) Sure, like with anything, there were some things that didn't go according to plan (like getting too drunk & ending up taxiing back & forth across Leicester at 4am & then waking up a dear friend or breaking my lovely wooden Geta by doing jumps & stunts in them) but c la vie; at the end, it amounted to an awesome experience!

I was glad that my cosplays all made the journey there & back intact & that they were all well received, even my bald Wash, (the damn wig still hasn't arrived, despite being asked to review my purchase... lol) & it was great to see everyone else's cosplays, that I'd been watching come to fruition on the journals! I'm proud of each & every one of you guys who make the effort & take the "risks" to cosplay & the devotion, time & skill that goes into each costume!

Here's a little rundown of the highlights for me, though this is in no way a definitive list, so if I fail to mention something or someone, please don't take offence; I was tired/drunk most of the time & am getting old, to boot

Firstly, I'd like to extend my thanks to Beth & Gavin for offering to put me up initially & to Beth & Jarrod for picking me up from the station. Was great to see you guys again & catch up, sorry I wasn't around that much.

I enjoyed crewing, despite some more, shall we say testing moments xD Was great to see Jess, Pink, Snow & Alex again & to meet Grant, Sky, Matt & others; thanks for the hard work you put in & for keeping stage running!!! Got to meet some of the guests, behind the scenes & learnt a thing or two (Snow won't have to show me how to run an A/V rig next time lol) Sure, it was tiring (especially after late nights partying!) but that's my own fault for not getting my head down earlier & drinking more than I should have!!

I'm just gonna reel off a number of special moments now, that made ALCon memorable for me, in no particular order:

Bede Dorms - An unplanned visit to the kitchen in Bede on the Sunday night, with pizza & a bunch of good friends was both enjoyable & hilarious. Learnt a few things about Stephen & Jamie that I'd rather not have (Srsly guyz! xD) Jaz & her scary test tubes of spiced drink-stuff-thing, with added Mohawk, nearly killed a few people. Jamie getting crushed behind the door by Jaz & Alex literally dying of laughter (still makes me laugh, hearing that sound in my head). And of course Rob, just being Rob - yes, injuries happened! xD With added Georgie, JayAvalon & Amy, it simply was just awesome hanging out with you guys &, had it not been the final night & me promising certain people I'd return for games & drinking, I would have stayed with you longer. Pizza was good too!

Rave Night - Yes, I know; why isn't this Rock Night, I hear you say. J's a rocker ffs!!! Well, I like many types of music & when I entered the "club", they were playing some DnB/dubstep, which I'm currently into, so I drunkenly hit the dance floor with a vengeance! I remember corralling a few people into a circle & forcing individuals into the middle to dance, before doing so myself. I'm pretty sure I looked like I was having a stroke & the acrobatics were most likely embarrassing, but fuck it - I had fun! Rock night, sadly, I missed as was whiling away the hours chatting with people in & around the SU & then hanging with a few people in Bede Quad until 5am! (No wonder I was totally shattered on the Sunday lol) Rukia can confirm this, as she was doing the thankless task of keeping us all in check - thank you, Ru-Chan

Masked Ball - I'd been sweating this, as my original cosplay had fallen through & was tempted to give it a miss, but dammit I'd made my mask & I was gonna wear it! Being recognised as Lestat off the bat instantly made my night; chatting to Melmo for about 10 minutes, without her realising it was me, was an added bonus! I was pleasantly surprised at how many people realised I was Lestat, as I'd literally bought & chopped a wig, altered some clothes & thrown him together!! Looking back at some pictures, I will never wear a mask over full face makeup again (rubbing & sweat didn't give a good look), but it felt good to be the Brat Prince & I will no doubt be cosplaying him again in the future. Sadly, though I'd promised Rob & Stephen dances, I failed to keep my end of the bargain, but managed to have a quick & laughable (on my part) dance with the lovely Cassie & that was enough for me

Cards Against Humanity/Alcon - Played many games of this over the weekend, with some great company. Cassie, Goon, Kiwi, Jamie, Amy & Andre I would happily join you guys in a game any time! Much lols were had by all! It must be said, though, that Cards Against Alcon needs some serious editing on cards

Firefly Shoot - Getting to be part of the Firefly photoshoot with the rest of the crew (minus the Tam's) was great & not just cos I got to play with my dinosaurs the whole time! With the not-so-gentlemanly Geordie Gent snapping away at us around Queens, we all seemed to have a good laugh; can't wait to see the photos. Thanks for letting me be part of the gang & I promise next time that I will have some hair! xD

MOAR CAH - Whilst watching Jaz, Georgie, Jay & Alex cram all their luggage & props into Georgie's car, I decided a break in the form of CAH was needed. Standing around the corner of Bede, in the morning Sun with Stephen & Rob also, we played a few rounds &, of course, laughed a lot!

Scenic Tour of Leicester City Centre - Whilst not really part of my plan for the weekend, what shouldn't have been pleasant (due to hauling luggage around & sweating in the warm sun) turned out to be a great ending to a wonderful weekend. Strolling, hanging out & chatting with Rob, Mel, Mibu, Ren, Chris & I think most of the Dreamchasers Cosplay crowd was lovely! I had felt bad that I'd not spent as much time with many of the above as I'd wanted to, so I was glad I got this opportunity! Thanks to all of you for making the worst part of the weekend both bearable & enjoyable! I managed to hold my shit together for the most part, but did have a little sniffle (which I hid from you all behind my shades! xD)

Other Mentions - There were a few little things that took place, which I will remember fondly, so I'll just list them here quickly. Seeing Claudia & Louis, especially when I was dressed as Lestat was just awesome! I think I was very drunk on red wine & rum at one point, but vampire group hugs were had! I'm not ashamed to admit that seeing you both enter onto the stage with the film score playing, during the Cosplay Masquerade, brought a lump to my throat! Thank you both for your awesome costumes & being fab! Although there were so many amazing cosplays around over the weekend, I think my favourite is going to have to be Kyle's Kuma, from Afro Samurai! I've not seen many cosplays before that have caused my jaw to drop, or to be as perfect as I think is possible, outside of the medium of anime! Everything about it was simply spot on & I will post a pic of it, once I sort my own PC out! Dude, you rock! Also, the Parlay panel, photos & cosplays were amazing & I now willingly join the growing bunch of fan-boys & girls who avidly follow this inspiring group of people! Finally, chatting with Simon, who cosplayed an excellent Agent 47, was a good laugh. I didn't catch any contact details (fail), but if anyone knows them, I'd be much obliged!

Ok, so I know this is probably tldr, but I don't care; it's my journal! And I'm sure there are two people (hopefully) reading this, who might feel left out - well, fear not. If I had to pick two people who really made a huge difference to the weekend for me it would be.... *Drumroll*

@TPJerematic & @coolcat2304

Stephen, thank you again for helping me out with my location, for the company, the laughs, the games & the photos. You're a true gent & a good friend & I look forward to catching you online, once my silly PC is back up & running & to more meets & shoots with you; remember, no more freebies!

Cassie-san, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you again, after that hazy morning meet at the Arsenal Tavern, post LAGC in July. Thank you for keeping me company & listening to me drunkenly ramble away for hours on end, even when I was so tired I nearly fell off the wall in Bede Quad; you deserve a medal! Think saying goodbye to you was probably the hardest/worst part of ALCon, but it's been awesome chatting to you via Skype & text & look forward to gaming with you soon! PS - I will always be your Senpai

So, there it is! Read it, don't read it, it's up to you, but here's a hidden mass mention to everyone I met & who made the weekend memorable for me. If I've left you out, it's because I don't know your username or my brain is failing me right now - just add me or send me abuse on my visitor page! xD And if you know of people who I've mentioned that I've not tagged, please either tag them or let me know their username, so I don't feel guilty

Last edited by Avalien; 09-13-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Meetups Mad Man (H-Mod)
      That GeekOut Guy

Cocky

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Was excellent meeting you at Alcon, buddy. Next time we meet, we'll have to have a proper long geeky chat! Your Lestat was awesome, I've already said before and will keep saying ^^
      What's that? You want to meet some people? Come join us over in the Meetups, Events & Clubs section, we're pretty darn awesome and we'd love to meet you!
      Seriously. We want to meet you

Bristol/South-West people - Come join some Bristol-based geeks with GeekOut South-West - Click the banner for our website!

Seriously, it's free and you get to meet some cool people, come join in!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Remember that even if you're not there now, you'll get there some day! - Me, 2014.

Geek proud, GeekOut
      www.geekoutsw.com <- Blog! I interview people here at Anime League. Come read the interviews!
      Timlah

Pokemon GO!!!

Awesome

Country
      UK
      AL Points

J-Senpai!!! This weekend was awesome I loved your cosplays, cant wait to see the secret one you told me about XD!
      I'm really looking forward to when we meet again senpai! ^.^

"We shall have a magnificent garden tea party, and you're not invited!"

Xerxes Break - Pandora Hearts
      Mephisto Pheles - Ao No Exorcist (Blue Exorcist)
      Ririchiyo Shirakiin - Ino x Boku SS
      Ino Yamanaka - Naruto Shippuden (Incomplete)

In the Making
      Yoruichi Shihoin - Bleach

Jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj love you too dude And yes your Wash was awesome, as was your Lestat that I was genuinely just admiring for pure cosplay awesome and didn't recognise you
      Member of Bandursnatch Studios
      Cosplay crazy!

Sir Bana
      Knight of the Beard
      Always a Dude.

zzzz

Country
      UK
      AL Points

^___^
      Was awesomesauce to meet you properly at last, and one day, we shall get Armand and Lestat photos together!
      My makeup needs sorting out a notch to be up to scratch with yours, but fuck I wasn't in makeup mode on Thursday, lol. My apologies for generally being a touch off-colour all weekend, illness is laaaame, but next time, I shall be in good health!
      *still quietly proud of self for managing to find you so quickly in the first place, rofl*

:edit:
      And hugely thank you for safety pinning my boot cover before the Masquerade and shiz >.< there are no words for how much of a weight that was off my mind.
      I do apologise for my enormous quantities of derp! =D But do check out my DeviantArt for lotsa cosplay things http://britishbumpkins.deviantart.com/ and our FB, what the hey https://www.facebook.com/britishbumpkins
      Btw, @Drifter
        Spoiler:  

Incubator at soul... waitwhat??

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Yes. Much text, many taking ins, brain is of listenings,
      "There are bad ways to win-- and good ways to lose.
      What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which.
      A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails.

Sometimes it may never land at all..."

-Grimsley, Unova Elite Four

This is a link. To photographs. Click the link to see the photographs.

FACTS tomorow weeeee

Annoyed

Country
      Belgium
      AL Points

was awsome to meet you avalien ^^ great that you had sucha good time!

(ALLES FR MEINEN VATERLAND / to victory or may dead take me

Avalien

Thank you for the comments guys; you're awesome!

So, it's my birthday today & think this year gifted me with the best present ever! The legendary Nick Cave (kids, if you don't know who he is, Google that shit!) chose today to release his documentary 20,000 Days on Earth. Just finished the film & it was amazing! Now, I'm privileged to be watching the man himself with a live Q&A session, via satellite, from the Barbican!! Thank fuck for independent cinema chains!!!

Am a very happy boy! :p

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information