Angry

Country
      USA
      AL Points

Re: REVIEWER OF THE WEEK

Thanks, my Wouster! ^_^

Avalien

Hey, sorry Jamie, but I've had a lot to deal with of late & afraid I'm going to be busy until post Alcon.

Might be an idea to check with people in advance?

thinking about life the universe and everything

Achy

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Yea its cool ive been Mia for a few days/weeks

Achy

Country
      UK
      AL Points

okay so i am gonna start this again and if anyone wants to review let me know

@Drifter @Lucy OfTheStars @The Frozen Samurai @Jessinova @Melmo @Secret_Yuuki @Wouter The DerpCat @Kiwi_Princess @_Phi_ @PINK_RIBBONS @Avalien @Reiki of Darkness @Komplex @CuteKitty @Erikajoy (=^・^=) @Scarlet Knight @Nakigoe @Alexolatry @JayAvalon @White fox @RavenzMatteo
      TIMLAH
      The Timmerys - Helping you be Timmmarised, sooner and better.
      THE JEDI CODE
      There is no emotion, There is peace

There is no ignorance, There is knowledge

There is no passion, There is serenity

There is no chaos, There is harmony

There is no death, There is the FORCE

Planned cosplays
      Simon - Firefly/Serenity
      The Riddler - Arkham story arc
      Gabrielle - Castlevania: Lord of shadows
      Gimli - Lord of the rings
      Van Helsing - Van helsing
      Frankenstein's monster - Van helsing Adaptation
      Gold cloaks & John Snow - Game of Thrones

Poking things with sticks *poke, poke*

Silly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

i wouldnt mind

Achy

Country
      UK
      AL Points

okay so @_Phi_ is now the reviewer you get one week to give us a review of a title of a game (can be any platform) a two paragraph review (minimum)
      a rating based on each subject posted below (out of ten unless stated otherwise)
      -- game play
      -- graphics
      -- time spent playing (time based)
      -- character interface (likeable characters, hateable characters)
      -- recommendation for buying (yes/no)

using these guidelines and add more if you want

@Drifter @Lucy OfTheStars @The Frozen Samurai @Jessinova @Melmo @Secret_Yuuki @Wouter The DerpCat @Kiwi_Princess @_Phi_ @PINK_RIBBONS @Avalien @Reiki of Darkness @Komplex @CuteKitty @Erikajoy (=^・^=) @Scarlet Knight @Nakigoe @Alexolatry @JayAvalon @White fox @RavenzMatteo

add your friends as well _phi_
      TIMLAH
      THE JEDI CODE

Planned cosplays
      Simon - Firefly/Serenity

Silly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Haw he haw, I know my game already ^^ ya'll gonna get a review of my fave game, character and cosplay :p

And no its not squid girl related ...

Avalien

Quote Originally Posted by _Phi_ View Post

And no its not squid girl related ...
      Bah, I'm not interested then... *Goes back to watching "The Fisherman's Wife"* xD

FACTS tomorow weeeee

Annoyed

Country
      Belgium
      AL Points

aw no cute squid involved xD

(ALLES FÜR MEINEN VATERLAND / to victory or may dead take me

Silly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

_Phi_ reviews Zero Escape:Virtues Last Reward
      with spoilers, but I will try and not give too many

Platforms: 3DS, PS Vita
      Developers: Chunsof/Spike Chunsoft
      Released: 2012
      Genre: Visual novel, with super hard puzzles :O (might of had to look at walkthroughs a few times)
      Other titles: 9 Persons, 9 Hours, 9 Doors the game has a couple of the same characters as the previous and bits of the story follow on but its still a stand alone game. There is also a 3rd game in development that will have some of the same characters.
      Awards: Handheld Game of the year (GameSpot), Best 3DS/DS story of 2012(ING), Best graphic adventure of 2012, Best story of 2012 (RPGFan)

Story
      Basics of the story is nine people are trapped in a facility of some sort and have to “SEEK A WAY OUT!”. Each of the characters has a watch attached to their wrists that has a score on it when that score reaches 0 they are injected with a toxin from the watch that kills them. The aim of the game is to get out some how by getting a score of 9. To get a score of 9 they have to vote to “Ally” or “Betray” the other members at at the end of each round with your score either going up or down depending on how you vote.

The game master is a bunny they refer to as Zero and he is pretty evil.

The characters have a series of rooms to get through all with different puzzles, characters are put into teams of 3 to complete each room. Teams are decided by the colour of the watch and they will either be a “solo” or a “pair”, solo means they vote against the pair, and pair means they vote against the solo however they are treated as one person so only get one vote. To vote the characters enter a room with a screen, if both people of the pair don’t make it into the room to vote the one left out side dies.

Game Play
      Well the game follows a tree structure and each choice you make sets you down a different branch and theres a brach and end point for each character. Game play wise its divided into two parts, the novel and the game. The novel as you probably guess is the main story and has clues hidden through it that help to solve the puzzles. The game part is the puzzles, these usually involve looking round rooms and clicking on what you see to try to uncover the secret of the room to solve the puzzle and open the safe to get a card that allows you into the next part of the game. Each room also adds in extra bits to the main story. The puzzles have two difficulties, gold and silver. Silver gives you the silver file which pretty much just lets you open the safe and progress, but the gold also gives you extra in sights into the stores background so are worth getting if you really want to get into it.

Heres one of the rooms an also a view of some of the tree structure.

Theres a lot of backwards and forwards through out the game as some tree sections are only unlocked after you complete other bits. Often this means you having to replay small to large sections of the game but thankfully it allows you to fast forward through the parts you have read already. Not all of them end happy in-fact some are pretty gruesome, this was a rather definite end to one of the paths every character most defiantly dead.

Graphics
      I quite liked the graphics though most of the time you only see the characters from the waist up and animations are somewhat limited. They 3D graphics through out the game most of the time its single frame animation. If you are expecting something amazingly animated you won’t get it from this game. The characters and scenes are well designed and there are subtle things that are their for a reason thats not immediately clear.

Time spent playing
      Total time I spent was 48 hours, and I managed that in just under a week, the storyline was really addictive so found myself wandering about the house not realising I had been playing for 6 hours strait each time.

Character interface
      I loved pretty much every single character, and through out the game you are on a bit of a love hate with with some of them. The character I didn’t like so much was Tenmyouji, mainly because I didn’t feel his character was as well thought out as some of the others. I wasn’t a massive fan of the outfits for Alice and Clover I thought they were a bit too revealing, when you consider that Alice’s top is pretty much a large neckless and not a lot else (plenty of side and under boob). My most loved character (in fact most loved game character of all time) in the game was Phi and love to cosplay as her.

Recommendation for buying
      Hell freaking yes, theres not one thing I didn’t love about thing game and will happily play it again and theres not many games I feel I can honestly say that with.

Do you choose to; Ally or Betray?

Achy

Country
      UK
      AL Points

So @_Phi_ has finished and posted her review everyone lets bombard her with the questions

first off was there much in the way of diversity when playing as other characters ... for instance going into one room with a female character helped a little over a male or was it a sort of different story for each character you played ?

@Drifter @Lucy OfTheStars @The Frozen Samurai @Jessinova @Melmo @Secret_Yuuki @Wouter The DerpCat @Kiwi_Princess @PINK_RIBBONS @Avalien @Reiki of Darkness @Komplex @CuteKitty @Erikajoy (=^・^=) @Scarlet Knight @Nakigoe @Alexolatry @JayAvalon @White fox @RavenzMatteo
      TIMLAH
      THE JEDI CODE

Planned cosplays
      Simon - Firefly/Serenity

Silly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Oopski Ispook View Post
      So @_Phi_ has finished and posted her review everyone lets bombard her with the questions

first off was there much in the way of diversity when playing as other characters ... for instance going into one room with a female character helped a little over a male or was it a sort of different story for each character you played ?
      Ah I actually failed to mention that the character you play is the main protagonist Sigma, the other characters are not playable, but even if the were it wouldn't effect the game play as its a visual novel so follows an already pre determined outcome There were different character combinations you could go into the rooms with but this was necessary in order to unlock the next section in the tree as you never knew which character combo could tern out to be fatal. You also had to do every combination to complete the game and escape anyway.

Its a pretty difficult game to explain especially story wise

Avalien

Nice review, Phi! You can tell you really enjoyed playing the game. I'd give it a go myself, but my game time is all jammed up at the moment (see games mentioned in a sec, plus Skyrim!). I've found recently that I spend more time playing simple, "retro" style games (similar to Zero Escape) that I picked up for under a fiver on Steam than the big budget games. Examples are FTL, Long Live the Queen & Five Night's at Freddy's. What, from your experience, do you think it is about these games that allows them to compete with the £40-50 blockbusters?

Silly

Country
      UK
      AL Points

Quote Originally Posted by Avalien View Post
      Nice review, Phi! You can tell you really enjoyed playing the game. I'd give it a go myself, but my game time is all jammed up at the moment (see games mentioned in a sec, plus Skyrim!). I've found recently that I spend more time playing simple, "retro" style games (similar to Zero Escape) that I picked up for under a fiver on Steam than the big budget games. Examples are FTL, Long Live the Queen & Five Night's at Freddy's. What, from your experience, do you think it is about these games that allows them to compete with the £40-50 blockbusters?
      Thanks Jay
      Ive not actually played any of the games you mentioned lol, however for games like Zero Escape the marked is some what dieing. The visual novel market isnt especially big outside of Japan and many titles like this one are often not fully translated (text is translated but speech is left native, especially for the EU market US however often is fully translated). Visual novels with of this style with puzzles I don't believe are that common, most of the time you will find that they are more like romance sims eg. Hakuouki, Clannad. With the bankruptcy of Japanese game developers Cing in 2010, makers of; Hotel Dusk, Another Code and Again, the market for the games is unlikely to improve. I will be surprised if Chunksoft manage to bring the final Zero Escape game to the EU market.

Avalien

hehe, I hadn't either, until I played them of course I did play a game a while back, as it was free on PSN, called Catherine, which was similar in style. I actually really liked the artwork & humour, but the puzzles became a bit repetitive & I got bored, so went onto other games >.<

That's a shame to hear though. Honestly, I have seen a few visual novel games on PSN & Steam from time to time, but they're not really my kind of thing :S It's a really nice medium though, with many cool possibilities, so would be a real loss if the market disappeared. Maybe a tie in with a popular anime/game/movie franchise would help to boost popularity? Or for an anime to be made from the novels, so people were better aquainted with the characters etc? Bleh, I'm rambling xD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information